Having help with the trailer made the project a lot more fun! and the project started to take off.
We cared the trailer outside, and spent a few days finishing up the sanding.
With the windows in the trailer either broken or no able to open the new windows I ordered from Sunview industries arrived.
I also picked up the insulation for the inside.
Now it is time to attack the fiberglass repair, with help that is comfortable tackling this.
Boler Waiting When I Arrived
We used some really thin wood, screwed onto the outside as a form, covering them with wax paper to ensure it would break free.
First hole to cover for fibreglass
Acetone and paper towels to clean everything up
Finished form from the inside
Back hole ready, time for the next one.
Sanded and cleaned with Acetone
Covered the holes with wax paper and used tape to make the edges so I would know where to put the wood.
Inside once done and ready for fibreglass
Cleaning the fiberglass cut out (the Boler was previously modified as coffee cart)
The outside of the hatch was covered in paint, calking and rivets.
The floor under the front bench has been broken, so we screwed wood down to make a form for the fibreglass.
A picture of the front floor formed up from the outside and ready to be fibreglassed.
Using body filler for the first coat. Wax paper was used to keep it from sticking to the wood form.
Then we applied the fibre cloth and brushed on the resin.
The door had been damaged and then painted. So I took the grinder and cleaned it up, the using a thin flexible piece of wood, screwed it on to take the shape of the door.
Put a layer of body filler on the door as well, will trim it up once it dries.
Putting Body filler on the other cut out on the trailer as well.
Applying more cloth and resin to the other forms, before running out of supplies. With the store closed for the night we called it a day.
Pulling off the wood we discovered the body filler did not harden. It needed to be left open to the air, not sealed between the fiberglass and form. Luckily the fiberglass took the shape, so it should be easy to make this right.
Paul marking out the window openings
The help turned out to be huge, it wasn’t that he was good with fibreglass, or anything else we were doing, he had a much more valuable skill, he just attacked the problem and figured it out, regardless if he knew how. With this a few things could have been done a little better, but the jump in and figure it out approach was so effective I adopted it for the rest of the project. An amazing lesson and gift to this project.
Next we cut out the openings for the windows.
Paul marking out the window openings
The cutting begins
The old cut out was not straight and the corners not round, we will need to fill one corner, other than that they fit great.
Here I am holding the new window in to see how it fits.
Hatched screwed in waiting for fiberglass as seen from the inside of the Boler.
Window frame in and hatch screwed into place
Floor repair took well.
Floor repair as seen from the inside. A little touch up and it will be great.
Lifting the boler up onto saw horses it was time to undercoat it.
Boler shell and frame freshly undercoated
Freshly under-coated, the cleanest the bottom will likely ever be.
The front floor was damaged. Now with new fiberglass and undercoat it is strong again.
The big cut out in the back, and smaller holes on the side have all been fibreglass.
This was the part I was a little worried about. Now the panel is fiberglassed in and looking good.
Picture of the repair from the outside
Somewhere while doing the fiberglass work, an unexpected change to move to Edmonton was made, and with short notice I had to sell my business, sell the house and get the trailer ready to tow to our new home.
Frame getting twisted back into the right shape and reinforced.
With the frame repaired, I also painted it while the shell was off.
With the roller out I decided to paint the frame as well
Boler is now undercoated. With a few random screws pulled out of the bottom this should seal up anything I missed.
The hatch that was cut out by a previous owner is now fiberglassed back in. I am surprised at how well everything ended up lining up.
The hatch patch from the outside.
The cut out in the back of the Boler is now patched.
The damage to the fiberglass floor at the front of the trailer has been repaired and painted.
With the fiberglass repairs done, and the undercoating complete the shell and frame are ready to go back together.
Boler is back on it’s frame and getting close to being tow-able for our move.
Adding new safety chains and wrapping the trailer it was ready for the trip to it’s new home.
Boler wrapped and hooked up.
With the trailer in the garage at the new house, the only issue that appeared was the rear patch had cracked a little, good thing it happened now, before paint.
Boler in new garage, crowded by the mess of moving.
Green Boler Rebuild 3